Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Polar Express

I have the best family in the world.

Truly, they are amazing and I am so tremendously blessed.

My family has given us so much love, prayers and support since we first learned of Lily's diagnosis. Every single one of them sent us a card, a text, or an email. They have spoiled us with donations and gifts. They would send a message or text randomly just to let me know they were thinking about us.

When we went to Iowa this summer, they were there for us...to love on us and to ask about Lily. The very greatest gift they've given us is remembering Lily with us, and loving her just like everyone else in our family.

I really didn't think any of them could top it...

But then they did!!

They all got together and surprised us with an amazing care package!! They sent us gift cards, house cleaning certificate and the best of all...

A trip to the North Pole!!

We traveled to Williams, Arizona to take a ride on the Polar Express.

It was magical.

My sister bought Ted some adorable Christmas jammies. Seriously...I can't even handle his cuteness.


He loved every second of it.


He got to meet Mrs. Claus and write a letter to Santa.



He loved waving to everyone when we were on the train.


He loved dancing to the Christmas carols and eating his cookie.



He was mesmerized by the lights and loved seeing Santa.


He loved to ring his Christmas bell.


It was a moment I will never forget.


But with these sweet, tender memories we make, comes the sorrow and grief of missing Lily...always. As we reached the North Pole, seeing all the lights, the "Believe" song and seeing Ted's face light up, it just hit me like a ton of bricks - through smiles and laughter come so many tears... 

I want my daughter here too.

I feel like this is just the beginning of these bittersweet moments...moments that fill you with so much joy you could burst, and then so much grief you can barely breathe. I spend much of my days smiling, laughing, and then just like that...once again, something happens - or nothing happens, and I am reminded my daughter is not here

I miss her so much.

I know I use this word a lot, but it truly is bittersweet. So sweet that my family would provide such a gift...so bitter to think of why.




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing so openly Kellie. Reading your blog makes me feel less alone in my pain. Love and prayers to your family. PS that last photo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a fantastic family, Kellie. Bless them for such thoughtfulness. Ted is too cute for words xx Wendy Archer

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the las pictures I have of being pregnant with my baby was in front of the Polar Express train. I can kind of relate to how you were feeling (although we all have different feelings). It saddens me to look at those pictures. What a sweet gift your family have you.

    ReplyDelete